Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How to Make Wooden Spoons




I'm not a great carver.  I'm altogether too impatient, too clumsy and a bit too satisfied with less than perfect.  I also don't have all the tools I need to do it right  That said, carving is a lot of fun and another outlet for my insatiable need to be creative.  For this blog, I decided to share with you, dear readers, how I make my wooden spoons.  I made some these spoons quite a while back.  I also made some pretty nice wands for my family for the Harry Potter Book party when book six came out.  I was getting pretty good at carvings when I did the wands, now I'm working my way back to that level. 

For materials, mostly I just use a jig saw, a utility knife and an exacto-knife, some chisels and sand paper.  O, and for this project a 1" X 6" pine board.  That's pretty much it. 
When it comes to the video, I don't know what happened to a lot of what I recorded--it vanished!  My bytes must have been bitten!  I was going to make it all music and no words, but I liked my on running commentary.  Stop gaps, I don't explain well.  They are essential in carving.  What you do is to cut deep straight down into the wood across the grain.  Then when you cut the wood, you push your knife along the grain digging at an angle untill your knife hist the stop gap.  It keeps the kinf from going to far and cutting areas you want left higher.  You'll have to just watch and see how it's done.

1 comment:

MJC said...

This is fantastic! I find that I have boxes of little bits of wood left over from projects and spoon carving would be an excellent use of them.
Something I will point out from my own experience and something you can see in Ken's video. If you are just starting out doing any sort of carving, the tendency is to cut with your arm. You want to cut and guide your cut only with your wrists.This makes for a short cut stroke and gives maximum control. Try to build in a stop so if things go wrong, you won't be slashing yourself to bits.
Whether you think yourself a master or not Ken, very nice work and very inspiring! Love it!
M Crumpacker