Sunday, March 25, 2012

Early Tulips








Everyone I know is a bit freaked out by the weather we've been having. First it was a really mild Winter, and now it is followed by an extremely warm Spring (I capitalize the seasons). In fact, last week it was a lot like Summer. We're all using words we've been hearing forever to describe it, like "climate change" and "global warming" and wondering if we humans have really messed it all up. A lot of my conservative friends are in denial about global warming. They think it's all a liberal conspiracy or something. I’m not sure what liberals are supposed to gain by looking at the evidence and becoming concerned about it. I suspect that industry and the large energy corporations that stand to lose big profits if they have to endure the regulations to restrict the greenhouse gasses they pump into the air has something to do with it. So anyone who believes that there is global warming must be branded a liberal and is probably going to hell.


Hell, I think, must look something like the tar sands development of Alberta. National Geographic referred to this part of Alberta as “the Dark Satanic Mills” A lot of people don’t realize it is a reference to William Blake. I think it was in the poem called “the Chimney Sweep” and was his attempt at describing the polluted skies of England during the Industrial Revolution



But I’m a long way from tulips. Well, global warming or not, I am witnessing yet another fantastic Spring that is nearly a month early. I was very lucky to be off on a sunny Sunday morning. So I took Sammy (my dog, as you may well know if you follow my blog) and we went downtown and took a few pictures of the tulips. In about a month tens of thousands of tourists will descend on Holland, Michigan for Tulip Time and I doubt they will get to see a single tulip! Hey, but I do! I live here! And I get to see them without fighting the crowds!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous (and technically excellent) shots Ken! We saw a few tulips here in Chios a couple of days ago but were told we'd have to get off the main roads to really see fields of them. So, hopefully, Grecian tulip photos comin' up:) But yours are really lovely!

Nemo said...

Thanks! I'd love to see what Crecian tulips would be like!