Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Elizabeth



This is video is, obviously, for my daughter’s birthday. I posted it on Facebook where it could be seen by all her friends and family who check in there and know nothing of my blog. I decided to put it here too since it is my scrapbook where I keep it and can look back all I want. I have noticed that Facebook is a highly existential mechanism in the sense that it tends to keep things that are immediate and current and all other things are lost in the past as if they never existed. Things are posted, capriciously and quickly for an ADD world where attention spans are about three seconds and then people are on to the next thing. It is good for quick, pragmatic communications and a wonderful social device, but longer, reflective pieces just don’t belong there.



Anyway, my daughter wanted the lyrics to the song even though they are simple and were written to accommodate the fifties style song. I’m no great singer of course and audacity has its limits as a recording device goes. I don’t expect to go platinum anytime soon, is what I’m saying. I just do these things so that pictures aren’t quite so boring to look at, and to creatively express things that are on my heart and mind. Anyway, birthday girl, here are the lyrics:



Happy Birthday
To you…to you.
My little girl
Has turned twenty-tow

I can remember
when you were just four
And I wanted to keep you
That way evermore,

But you grew…you grew…O, you grew.

Now you’re a woman
All alone,
Facing the world
Out on your own.

Grown up and turning
Twenty-two
And I’m proud, so proud
So proud of you.

Make a wish
Upon the full moon
That your dear old father
Should see you soon


He thinks of you
Though he is far away
And he wishes you always
A Happy Birthday

Yes he wishes you always
A Happy Birthday

1 comment:

Melanie Mehrer said...

I absolutely agree about what you say about Facebook. I am really grateful I started writing blogs a few years back- When my hard drive crashed I lost all the pictures I had of some places- except for the few gems I put on my blog.

Ken, you really do amaze me. Not just in these little creations you do but that you plug along and look for the positive in everything even though it was obvious to me that you really miss your family. I think you are like a phoenix coming out of the ashes- though there has been a downside to being away for so long, you seem to be really getting in touch with your creative side and as one that is trying to do that as well, Well, you Go, Ken!
And I don't think you are that bad a singer. I like it because I know you and I know your voice and I know it all comes from the heart. Thank you for being so inspiring.
xx Love from Istanbul
Melanie