Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Bridge


I built a bridge to Alpha-Centauri.
I won’t go into the details of the technology.
I made it look just like the Brooklyn Bridge
But it doesn’t go to Manhattan, of course
I’ve already told you it goes to Alpha-Centauri.

Really. It does.

I’ve crossed it myself and back again.
And I just left it there for others to cross.
No, no, no, I’m not going to charge.
I don’t believe in that sort of thing.
I’ve always believed that if we all just gave freely,

We would have no need for money...imagine that!

Some people believe in love, others believe in money,
But we’re a long way from Alpha-Centauri.
So let me show you the bridge I built.
I realize there are dangers for Alpha-Centaurians,
Once humans start to go there.

What will they think of us?

We will likely bring our pollution and diseases,
And worst of all our entrepreneurs!
But we may well take our art, our music, and our poetry
And other vestigial remnants from quaint days
When we believed in the existence of a thing called a soul.

And there might be dangers!

Who knows what good and evil they may bring to us?
Who knows if Alpha-Centaruians are safe?
Should I have done it? Should I have built my bridge?
Eve and the apple? Pandora and the box?
And just who am I to risk the security of all humanity?

Ah, now, that is the question isn’t it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Work, Ken. I see creativity portrayed in this peace of article "The Bridge". I wonder where your inspiration comes from....
Finjap Y. E